Here’s the quick answer:
Its look is warm, organic, rustic, and contemporary. It exudes an earthy feel with deep colors and a sleek appearance that you won’t find anywhere else.
Now, for those of you who want the whole story with lots of detail:
Soapstone is a natural quarried stone. It’s a metamorphic rock that is called soapstone because of the soft, or soapy, feel of its surface, which comes from the presence of talc in the stone.
Even though different types of soapstone from different mines share the same overall characteristics, each slab possesses its own personality.
Here are some reasons why people choose soapstone:
- It won’t stain. Soapstone is dense and non-porous. It may darken in a spot where liquid has pooled but the darkness fades after the liquid is wiped off and evaporates.
- It stands up to acids and is not harmed by lemon juice, vinegar, wine, or natural cleaners that need to be avoided with other natural stone surfaces.
- It is unaffected by heat so you can set hot pans directly on your countertop.
- Soapstone counters to not require sealing and that along with the absence of chemicals in mining and fabrication make soapstone the green choice for your home and the most natural choice of natural stone.
- The look of the stone, its tones, veining, and mottling give it a soothing movement and character.
- It is a participant in the environment of you home. When the environment is warm your soapstone adopts the warmth unlike other sealed natural stone that always feels cold.
- It feels natural and people like to touch it.
- Its colors are muted, falling into the full range of greys from light grey to black with greens, blues and sometimes hints of gold flecks as well as spots of pink in the quartz veins.
Scratches and nicks happen but the appearance of these marks can be reduced with mineral oil or wax and removed with small-grit sandpaper.
Soapstone sinks, stoves, and counters have been a part of our lives for hundreds of years and will continue to provide their natural beauty and utility for hundreds of years to come. Contact Dorado Soapstone today to discover why you should choose soapstone for your project.